Chinese New Year: Celebrating The Year of the Horse in New Jersey and at Home
It’s time to start anew and sweep out all the bad luck of 2013. Celebrating Chinese New Year with your family can be a blast, not to mention cleansing! Of course, New York City's celebrations are wonderful, but there is a ton of fun to be had in New Jersey as well. Bring in the Year of the Serpent the right way, with dance, family workshops, music or stay home for cleaning, food, crafts and more!
Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company (Newark, NJ)
Celebrate the Year of the Horse with “traditional and modern music and dance” from Nai-Ni Chen Dance Company at NJPAC in Newark. The dance group is celebrating their 25th anniversary season. The event is recommended for children of all ages and there is a family workshop before the event from 12:30pm – 1:30pm for free. Registration is required, register here. Saturday, January 25, 2014 at 2pm. $27/adult and $13/child. (888) GO-NJPAC
Lunar New Year Celebration (Cherry Hill, NJ)
The Garden State Discovery Museum welcomes in the Year of the Horse! Traditional music and dance will add to the festive weekend celebration! Create traditional works of art and participate in a martial arts demonstration. Saturday and Sunday, February 1 - 2, 2014 from 11am – 3pm. Free with admission. Tickets will cost $10.95/adult and children 12 months and up and $9.95/senior. 856-424-1233
Chinese New Year Celebration (Newark, NJ)
Celebrate Chinese New Year at the Newark Museum with performances of traditional Lion Dances, Chinese Martial Arts and explore the masterworks in the exhibition “Ming to Modern: Elevating the Everyday in Chinese Art.” Saturday, February 1, 2014 from 1pm – 4pm. Free with admission. Tickets are $12/adult and $7/children, seniors and students (with valid ID). Newark residents are free! (973) 596-6550
Chinese New Year Arts and Crafts (Jersey City, NJ)
Head over to the West Bergen branch of the Jersey City Public Library for some traditional Chinese New Year arts and crafts. Friday, January 31, 2014 at 3:15pm. (201) 547-4554
Club Mac Chinese New Year Party (Middletown, NJ)
Parents can enjoy a night out while the kids celebrate the Year of the Horse with by crafting, playing games and dancing! Pizza, drinks and snacks provided. $25 per child, $15 per sibling. Pre-registration required. Please call 732-706-4100 to register.
You don’t have to go out to celebrate Chinese New Year. Here are some tips to celebrate the Year of the Serpent at home:
- Clean your home. Yes, it sounds like a chore, but it is traditional to clean your home before the New Year to “sweep away the bad luck.” Get the kids to help out! But, don’t clean during the New Year – or you risk sweeping away all the good luck that will come in the new year.
- Be a wok star! Making traditional foods is a big way to celebrate the New Year. A large New Year’s Eve meal is the most important dinner of the year on the Chinese calendar. Try some recipes like Guotie Pot Stickers, Peking Duck or Green Tea Fortune Cookies here. Or try one of the recipes listed on the Epicurious Lunar New Year menu page.
- Get crafty. Try some of these fantastic crafts to celebrate the New Year with the kids, including Chinese Lanterns, Dancing Dragons and Paper Bag Puppets here or paper fortune cookies, dragon puppets and more here.
- Announcing WeeWork Kids Crafts Series: Free Daily At-Home Projects
- Hot Holiday Deals: Save Big on Theater, Birthday Parties, Toys, Babysitting & More
- Santa Claus Phone Calls, Emails & Videos: Mostly Free High-Tech Holiday Magic For Kids
- That's My Name! Best Shops for Personalized Gifts in New Jersey