Read Across America and Celebrate Dr. Seuss's Birthday in New Jersey
As a former English teacher and now mom two to bibliophiles, "Read Across America Day" is like any holiday at our house: we go all out! This year Read Across America Day falls on March 1, 2013, but really, we should be celebrating reading everyday. I am sure your local library and child's school is celebrating Dr. Seuss's birthday and Read Across America, but why let them have all the fun? For fun reading events and ideas for celebrating Read Across America for New Jersey families, READ ON!
Fun Ways to Celebrate Read Across America at home:
1. Have each member of your family pick their favorite Dr. Seuss book or any favorite book, wrap them up like presents and open after dinner to spend a night reading instead of screen time.
2. Create meals based on famous book fare such as Green Eggs and Ham, In the Night Kitchen, Each Peach, Pear Plum, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, or eat everything The Hungry Caterpillar ate- only if you really want to be festive!
3. Watch a movie based on your favorite book with the entire family!
4. Donate a book to your child's school library or classroom.
5. Use your smart phone or Flip Camera to create a book trailer or review of your child's favorite book and submit your videos to Schooltube.
6. Volunteer at your local library or dress up as your favorite character and volunteer to read at your child's school.
Read Across America/Dr. Seuss's Birthday New Jersey Events:
Dr. Seuss Family Festival at the Morris Museum (Morristown, NJ)
A day at the Morris Museum never been more fun! Come celebrate the birthday of beloved children’s author Dr. Seuss and enjoy these Dr. Seuss related activities for the Dr. Seuss Family Festival, on Saturday, March 2 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The cost for the festival, which includes Museum admission, is $7/child, $10/adult (free for Museum members).The day will include a host of readings and activities. Saturday March 2, 2013 11:00am-4:00pm. For more info and a list of specific activities, click here.
Jenkinson's Aquarium (Point Pleasant Beach, NJ)
The Cat in the Hat himself will be reading in the aquarium at 2, 3, and 4:30pm on Saturday, March 2.
Michaels (Various Locations in NJ)
Saturday, March 2, 2013. Celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday with a themed craft and storytime. All supplies are included. Register for a session every half hour from 10 am to 12 pm. For locations, click here. Registration is suggested.
Whimsical Way (Chatham, NJ)
Saturday, March 2, 2013 from 11am to 12:30pm. Participate in crafts, meet the characters and take home a stuffed Dr. Seuss. For more info email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- apple seeds day camp
- Father's Day Weekend with Westchester Families: Fishing, Animal Encounters, Classic Shows June 15 & 16
- Things to Do for Kids and Families on Long Island October 15-16: Pumpkin Carving, an Apple Festival, Fairy Houses and More
- Take a PEEC: Visit the Pocono Environmental Education Center